Home Chef vs Plated - Our Ultimate Meal Service Comparison
This meal delivery service offers its customers delicious classic home-cooked food that often comes with a twist. This company will provide you only with fresh, best farm ingredients for each dish you have ordered. And what’s great is that you will prepare their meal in about 30 minutes.
- Shipping Cost: FREE for orders over $45
- Average Price Per Meal: $9.95
- Delivery Area: 97% of the U.S.
Plated is a meal kit delivery service that is very flexible. It offers a variety of dishes to help you make your meal box: which ingredients to change, or use, and the number of serving sizes. Their food is very easy to prepare.
- Shipping Cost: $6
- Average Price Per Meal: $9.95
- Delivery Area: Over 95% of the U.S.
Plan & Pricing
Standard Menu $19.90
Offers 2 or 4 servings per one week for 2 to 4 people
5 Minute Lunch Menu $15.98
Offers 2 to 4 servings per one week for 2 to 4 people
Premium Menu $79.00
Offers 5 meals per one week for two people
2 Person Plan $47.80
Offers two meals per one week for one person
3 Person Plan $59.70
Provides two meals per one week for three people
4 Person Plan $79.60
Provides two meals per one week for four people
- Weeknight Chicken Quesadillas with Chihuahua cheese and pico de gallo
- Mushroom Parmesan Penne Pasta with oregano and baguette
- Sesame Sweet Potatoes and Avocado with sugar snap peas and jasmine rice
- Maple-Glazed Pork Tenderloin with Brussels sprouts
- Avocado and Tofu Sushi Bowl with carrots, cucumber, and spicy mayo
- Fontina-Stuffed Chicken with Roasted Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts
- Potato, Brussels Sprout, and Mushroom Hash with Goat Cheese and Baked Eggs
- Crispy Cauliflower with Homemade Barbecue Sauce and Sour Cream–Dijon Slaw
- Crispy Chicken Sandwiches with Hot Honey Aioli and Potato Salad
- Korean Beef and Rice Bowls with Pickled Radishes and Wonton Crisps
Of course, picking a meal service is hard enough. However, even if you manage to narrow down your choice to two meal service, picking which meals are more delicious and nutritious is harder than it seems. For that reason, we put meal options as our first category in our comparison.
And trust us – both Plated and Home Chef are quality services – so picking one over the other requires looking at a lot of things. And one thing that Home Chef has over Plated is flexibility. They offer meals for 2, 4, and 6 family members. You have a 2-dish meal minimum, however, there’s no limit. So if you have a larger family, Home Chef makes a lot of choices.
Conversely, Plated only has three meal plans. They offer 2,3, and 4-person meals, and each of the plans allows you to select from 2 to 4 recipes every week. That might be enough for a smaller family, but if you want more servings per week, you should definitely go with Home Chef.
Again, Plated and Home Chef both delivery quality products to their customers. Seasonal products are nothing new in this industry, so you know what you can expect from both services. Your preference in this case may come down to your diet, because Home Chef works better for people with vegan and vegetarian diet plans while Plated may work better for paleo diets.
Home Chef is partnered with numerous US farmers that deliver 100% organic, quality vegetables. Among others, this includes Paysan Breton Butter farms that deliver their veggies, herbs and spices. But vegetables are not the only supplies that are certified. The company also works with the famous Sea-to-Table company that delivers their seafood from sustainable sources only.
Plated is great for health-conscious paleo-dieters. All of their meats are 100%-free of antibiotics. Their beef has no added hormones, plus their fish is sustainably sourced as well. When you come down to it, there’s no clear winner in this category. You might want to browse the official websites of these companies to find out more about their ingredients, but no matter which one you end up picking, you definitely won’t make a mistake.
Most of the meals offered by the company are quite delicious, however, that doesn’t mean anything if the food you are eating is not high in vitamins and nutrients. Both Plated and Home Chef excel in this department. Although there are some carb-driven sauces, most meals are miles ahead of fast food when it comes to nutritional value. With every meal, you will get a healthy dose of protein, fiber, and carbs for energy. All in all, the meals a pretty balanced.
All of the meals have different nutritional values, so there’s no point to talk about every recipe separately. Both companies offer nutritional information on their websites and if you want to access it, you just need to click on the recipe you want to order and scroll down. This category can go both ways, but if you want to lose a few pounds, we should recommend Home Chef, since their meals definitely contain more vegetable-driven dishes.
While Home Chef has an upper hand on quantity, when it comes to choice of recipes, Plated takes the cake. When talking about a number of meals, Plated is actually one of the best services in the United States. As a matter of fact, they offer a staggering 20 dishes for their customers to choose from each week. Not a lot of services can say that.
And the variety doesn’t depend on the plan you have chosen. The amazing thing is that Home Chef isn’t too far behind. The company offers 15 different recipes every week, and you have the option to pick the ones you would like to make. But for the people looking for customization, you can’t really beat Home Chef. This is because they allow you to customize your meals based on your food preference.
Once you sign up for Home Chef, you fill out a survey in which you establish your favorite ingredients, spices, and meals plus foods you trying to avoid. And in accordance with the results of the survey, Home Chef creates a customized meal offer for your taste. That may require a little more skill in the kitchen. but still, with a little bit of practice, you may have a few interesting meals every week.
Your orders from Home chef will come in unique cardboard packages that are labeled with their logo. They are also recyclable. This meal delivery service place any ingredient that needs to be refrigerated such as tofu, seafood, and meat with ice at the bottom of the box. The delivery will stay cooled and fresh when it gets to your doorstep.
Home Chef’s support team will respond quickly if you have some questions. They deliver food to 98 percent of U.S.
Plated is a meal delivery service that uses and delivers insulated meal boxes. These packages will keep your food at the right temperature to stay fresh when they arrive.
This company ships their delivery via FedEx or local couriers and will arrive on your delivery date between 8 AM and 8 PM. Plated delivers meals to over 95% of the U.S.
Customer Support & Service
- Switching plans – if you don’t like or you are not satisfied with the quality of the ingredients, you will be able to change the meal plan.
- Cancellation – The company allows for the cancelation of orders, but you need to do it before it is shown as processed. Otherwise, you would not be able to cancel it.
- Refunds – If you don’t like the quality of the food you have ordered, Home Chef will offer you a full or partial refund.
- Gift – This meal delivery service sometimes offers its clients vouchers or their gift cards.
- Free Trial – Also, from time to time, Home Chef provide their customers with subscription or free trials.
- Customizable – They allow users to register, change the plan, specify dietary preferences, select desired meals or change your payment method.
- Switching plans – Plated is a flexible company and allows their clients to change the sizes of servings, meal plans, and the number of dishes you receive per week.
- Cancellation –This company also allows customers to skip a delivery week or cancel it if they don’t like what’s on the menu. But, if your order is already ‘’confirmed’’, you won’t be able to cancel the order.
- Refunds – If you are not satisfied with the quality of the ingredients, you could reach out to the customer service and ask for a full or partial refund.
- Gift – Form time to time, customers may receive Gift Cards through the App or their site.
- Free Trial –Plated sometimes offers free trials.
- Customizable – Customers can specify their dietary preferences, change meal plans, choose weekly recipes, register, and change their method of payment.
As you already know, a meal delivery service will help you keep up with your diet when your life becomes hectic and will only improver your overall dining experience. In the case of these companies, they cater to different audiences. There’s nothing wrong with that of course, but you should be aware of what group of people is targeted before opt for your meal delivery service.
Plated appeals to people that like cooking and want to have a challenge every week. It also costs a bit more, so you need to be prepared to dig a little deeper in your pockets if you want to have a new kitchen adventure every few days or so.
Home Chef, on the other hand, will give you classic family dishes that have an edge to them. They are not too complicated, so even if you never cooked for your family before, you’ll be able to learn how to prepare their meals in a matter of days – if not hours.
But who’s our winner? When looking at the overall quality, we simply have to go with Home Chef. Their meals taste fantastic, they are extremely easy to cook, and will even save you a couple of dollars in the process. Plus, they try to motivate their customers to eat more vegetables during the week, so if you have a family or you simply want to add more vitamins or minerals to your diet, Home Chef is the way to go.