Our Sun Basket vs. Plated Meal Kit Comparison for 2020
Sun Basket is a meal kit service that can fulfill anyone’s needs! If you are vegan, vegetarian, for paleo, keto, diabetes of gluten-free plan you will find at least a few of the many recipes that will blow your mind off!
- Delivery Area: 47 States
- Average Price: $11.49 Per Meal
- Shipping Cost: $6.99
Plated is another meal kit service that pays a lot of attention to the quality of the ingredients and works with trusted partners for years now. More than 20 recipes plus dessert gives you the number of 6,175 meal combinations every single week!
- Delivery Area: 48 States
- Average Price: $10.61 Per Meal
- Shipping Cost: free for orders over $60; otherwise $7.95
Plan & Pricing
Classic Plan $11.99 / serving
Servings: 2, 4; Meals Per Week: 2, 3, 4; Kit Prices: $51.96 to $175.84
Family Plan $10.99 / serving
Servings: 4; Meals Per Week: 2, 3, 4; Kit Prices: $87.92 to $175.84
2-Person Plan $11.95 / serving
Servings: 2; Meals Per Week: 2, 3, 4; Kit Prices: $47.80 to $95.60
3-Person Plan $9.95 / serving
Servings: 3; Meals Per Week: 2, 3, 4; Kit Prices: $59.70 to $119.40
Family Plan $9.95 / serving
Servings: 4; Meals Per Week: 2, 3, 4; Kit Prices: $79.60 to $159.20
- Steak with purple sweet potatoes and roasted red pepper salsa
- Salmon with lemon-oregano sauce and artichoke-fregola pilaf
- Tofu burgers with oven fries and sambal mayo
- Vegetable Sushi Bowls
- Three-Cheese Calzone with Pesto and Garlic-Roasted Tomatoes
- Patty Melts with Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Sun Basket’s wide offer on Classic menu doesn’t change the fact that if you are a family person, you have twice as less of a choice. However, with many different add-ons (snacks, breakfast, pantry), various meal plans and possibility to mix between them, Sun Basket gets high grades here!
Sun Basket’s menus are Classic and Family. Classic menu offers 18 recipes every week (including 6 Family-friendly meals). A serving option is 2 or 4 adults. The Family menu has fewer options: 6 meals per week on Chef’s Choice and Vegetarian Family plan together. A serving option is four adults with leftovers for young children. All recipes on this menu are kid-friendly.
Plated features more than 10 menus and a lot of different recipes each week (plus desserts). They give you three optional plans: 2 servings per night, 3 servings per night (communal living) and 4 servings per night (family dinner). Recipes change each week, so you can’t get bored with the same meals if you are on a specific diet!
The Quality of the Ingredients
Sun Basket’s products are 99% organic and high quality due to USDA-organic handler certification. Company’s policy is to cooperate only with suppliers who share the same idea, so all the seafood is wild-caught, meat is antibiotic and hormone-free.
Plated offers meat without antibiotics (pork, beef, poultry) and fish caught by high standards. It looks like both companies give a lot of credit to suppliers and share the same idea of organic and Non-GMO ingredients!
Meal portion from every Sun Basket-menu contains 500-800 calories and is dietitian-approved and well balanced. However, if you are allergic or on a gluten-free diet, they don’t recommend to order food due to contact with gluten and all major food allergens in the facilities.
So, when being extremely allergic, you will have to skip both of these services because Plated doesn’t recommend ordering either.
Plated is not so strict with calories per meal because of all the spices, oils and extras you add to recipe when cooking at home. For this reason, Sun Basket is more transparent and convincing about recipes on Diet Meal Plans.
When you take a look at Sun Basket Classic Menu, there’s no possible way of not loving at least a few recipes! The chef makes them inspired by worldwide cuisines (Italian, Thai, Mediterranean, Mexican). Kitchen’s famous house-made sauces and spice blends all together bring this meal kit service to a new level! Again, it’s very close, and still we give the lead to Plated for a significant number of over 6,000 combinations each week!
Sun Basket delivery service always brings food to your home fresh, cold, and on schedule while saving the planet at the same time! The box is made of recycled and virgin kraft paper, food is in plastic bags and containers and kept on ice packs (all recyclable).
Plated packages are also sustainable-card box, and plastic bottles are recyclable and gel packs reusable. Good job saving the planet to both companies!
Customer Support & Service
- Switching plans – It is allowed to switch between plans or change the number of meals per week very easy but only when doing it on time (Wednesday before delivery by Noon PST /3 pm EST).
- Cancellation – It is possible and free but always before Noon PST /3 pm EST on Wednesday before the next scheduled delivery.
- Refunds – Company refunds 100% of your money if complaints about the order are received within a week after delivery date.
- Gifts – “Refer-a-friend” is a program that gives you and your friend both 40$-worth-coupon for recommending him to join Sun Basket. Also you can be kind to someone and surprise them with a Sun Basket gift card in the amount of at least 100$!
- Free Trial – No free trials.
- Customizable – It is possible to customize menus.
- Switching Plans – Easily done on website, app or by phone call.
- Cancellation – You can cancel the order if done on time; otherwise, you get your order and bill.
- Refunds – If you are not happy with the food, inform service within 90 days after payment, and you will get money back.
- Gifts – Gift card can be purchased, but to use it you will need Plated account; gift card is non-refundable!
- Free Trial – First-time users of the Plated Subscription Service get free trials from time to time.
- Customizable – Plans and menus can be customized.
*Customer can free-of-charge skip, cancel, customize the order by Noon six days before the scheduled delivery time.
Hard decision to make due to high-quality food and wide offer of Meal Plans. Plated is maybe a bit cheaper if we assume your order will be over 60$, so delivery is free-of-charge. But, quality of the ingredients and easy preparation altogether say: go Sun Basket!